Minka Aire ceiling fans are at home in generating air in a room to provide a refreshing and cooling breeze. These ceiling fans do not consume a lot of electricity like traditional air conditioners. It means that it saves the costs of energy and also lowers your heating at the same time.
Minka Aire fans are designed with powerful motors, elegant styles and are easy to install. But it is an electronic device that may fail to work due to a number of issues. In this guide on Minka Aire ceiling fan troubleshooting, we are going to provide you tips to identify the main issue and its solution.
Common Minka Aire Ceiling Fan Problems
Some of the problems you may experience:
- A wobbling fan
- Minka Aire Remote control is not working
- The fan produces a humming sound
- Blades are not turning in the other direction
- The fan blades move very slowly
- Remote control is malfunctioned
How to Troubleshoot Minka Aire Ceiling Fan and Remote Issues
Here’s is a step by step guide on how to troubleshoot these problems:
1. Minka Aire ceiling fan wall control not working
The main task of the wall control or wall switch is to provide electricity to Minka Aire cirque ceiling fan. When you use the wall control to turn on the fan, it should start working immediately.
If Minka Aire wall control is not working, troubleshoot it using these steps:
- Firstly, check whether there is a faulty connection between the switch, fan and circuit breaker or not. An overloaded or short circuit can also result in trip breaker or turn it off.
- Secondly, check if you have loose switch wiring.
- Thirdly, check the loose ceiling fan wiring.
There is another issue you may face that is, broken wall control and the only solution for it is to replace it.
If the problem is in the connection of wires and they are not connected in a proper manner, check this guide on ceiling fan wiring to connect the wiring accurately.
2. Minka Aire ceiling fan remote control is not working
If the Minka Aire ceiling fan remote control is not working follow the below steps to fix the problem.
- Check the batteries by removing the back whether you have inserted the batteries correctly or not.
- The next thing you need to do is to determine whether the batteries are dead.
- Lastly, make sure that the receiver of the fan and dip switches behind the remote are on the same frequency.
There is another point you need to understand that when you control the ceiling fan or light kit of the fan using a wall switch, the remote control may lose its memory.
Follow these steps to restore the remote’s memory:
- First of all, remove the batteries from the remote.
- Press all the buttons to make sure that there are no stuck keys.
- Now, reinstall the batteries without pressing any button.
- Turn off the wall switch.
- Turn off the power to the circuit breaker and wait for a few seconds before you turn the power on again.
- Use the remote.
If the remote control is working, you can now use the Minka Aire remote to control your fan.
3. Minka Aire Ceiling fan and light stopped working
After lighting your place with the lights, it is necessary to switch them off during the day when you do not need light. At times, the ceiling fan light turns off to never switch back on.
Minka Aire ceiling fan can also stop working despite the fact you have been using it before. Here are some troubleshooting steps to troubleshoot the light kit. If the Minka Aire Light stopped working:
- Ensure whether you have put a bulb that contain more than 75 watts: it is because Minka Aire models come with a wattage limiting device. The light kit will be disabled if lamping over 75 watts. If the bulb is appropriate, try to reset the light kit.
- Turn off the power.
- Re-lamp the model.
- Keep in mind that you need to keep the wattage below 75 watts.
If the Minka Aire fan will not start:
- Check whether you have turned on the wall switch.
- Check the fuses and circuit breakers.
You can also perform these tasks to find out what is the problem but the first thing you need to do is to switch off the power. Then:
- Check the wire connections after removing the canopy.
- Check the wall control transmitter connections too if possible.
- Also measure the distance between the installed ceiling fan from the transmitting unit.
The ideal distance should be 40 feet to make sure the proper signal transmission between the transmitting unit and the fan’s receiving unit.
4. Minka Aire Ceiling fan has stopped working, but light still works
Before you start doing anything, you need to ensure that the unit is getting enough power. If the light is working fine but the ceiling fan stopped working, then the power source is working fine. The problem may be in your wiring or in the motor of the device.
Minka Aire ceiling fans are able to run at high speeds for plenty of hours. There is a chance that there is a loose connection. Here are the steps to do:
- Firstly, turn off the power to the fan from the circuit breaker.
- Lower the fan by removing the tightening screws.
- Check the wires of the fan that connect the fan itself and make sure they are not loose and all are working fine with the wiring of your home.
- Lastly, check all the internal connections available within the fan to figure out if anything is loose.
If there is a disconnected wire, fix it. After doing so, put back the housing and turn the power on. If you do not see any loose wires, the issue is with your motor.
An overheated motor can be the main reason the ceiling fan has stopped working. Repair the motor by cleaning if possible otherwise replace the motor with a new motor.
5. Minka Aire ceiling fan doesn’t work on all speeds
If your Minka Aire ceiling fan is not working at all speeds, do not worry the speed problems of Minka Aire units are common. At times, the unit only runs on one speed instead of all whenever you turn on the fan. The main reason for this problem is dirty ball bearings.
At times, the problem occurs when there is a failure to lubricate the ball bearings. The benefit of using Minka Aire ceiling fan units is that they come with permanently lubricated bearings.
With the exception of lubricating and cleaning of ball bearings, the problem can occur due to the overheated or faulty motor. If the ceiling fan capacitor is failing, it can also cause a problem. Then you may have to change the motor as well as the capacitor.
Keep in mind that if the ceiling fan does not come with remote control and only has a switch, the speed switch of the device is responsible. If that is the case, you need to change it to make sure that the Minka Aire fan works on all default speeds.
6. Minka Aire ceiling fan won’t reverse
If your Minka Aire fan is not reversing, it can be solved because there are several solutions for it depending on the model.
Follow these steps to reverse Minka Aire ceiling fan:
- Approach the Minka Aire wall control.
- It should contain a large circular section
- The circular part comes with four control points.
- The positions of 9, 12, and 3 o’clock control the speed of the unit.
- The position of 6 o’clock controls the direction of the fan.
- When the ceiling fan is rotating at low speed, pressing the 6’oclock position should reverse the fan’s direction.
If the problem persists, you have a broken component in the fan. On the other hand:
- The ceiling fan contains a small switch on the top of its motor housing.
- Switch off the power to the ceiling fan.
- Make sure that the device is stopped.
- Flip the switch to the opposite direction or setting to reverse it.
- Turn on the unit.
At this point, the ceiling fan should turn in the opposite direction.
7. Minka Aire ceiling fan light won’t turn off
If the Minka Aire ceiling fan light is not turning off or it turns on and off unexpectedly, the issue can be interference. Follow these steps to fix the frequency interference:
- Switch off the power to the fan.
- Adjust the frequency setting on the control system of the fan with the help of a small size tool.
- Turn on the power to the fan.
After turning the AC power on, abstain from pressing any button on the transmitter. The procedure will not work. The only button you can press or you should press is the stop button.
- Within one minute of turning the power on, press and hold the STOP button on the transmitter for about 10 seconds.
- Now, the receiver would detect the new frequency, once it detects, the downlight of the fan will blink twice.
The new frequency has been selected by the transmitter and the receiver will learn the new frequency. Now it should be easier for you to run the ceiling fan and the lights effectively.
8. How to Reset Minka Aire ceiling fan remote
Follow these steps to reset the Minka Aire ceiling fan remote:
- Expose the batteries of the remote by removing the covering of the remote.
- Pay attention to the two sets of four buttons available on the back of the device.
- Remove the battery.
- Ignore the set buttons named as ZONE on the left side.
- Pay attention to the set buttons named as NUMBERS on the right side.
- Change any combinations of the NUMBERS button or change only one of them.
- If that is the case, bring the number one down.
- Before putting the batteries again or pressing any more buttons available on the back of the remote control, turn off the power to the fan from the circuit breaker box.
- Wait for five seconds and after five seconds turn on the power.
- Reinstall the battery into the remote within one minute of restoring the power.
- Press and hold the STOP button while turning it to the unit continuously.
- The Minka Aire fan will turn OFF -> ON –> OFF –> ON.
This is how you reprogrammed a remote by Minka Aire and set a new frequency on it.
Whenever you encounter an issue with your Minka Aire gyro ceiling fan, troubleshoot the problem to know the main reason. Make sure that you have turned off the power from the circuit breaker not from the fan switch before you start repairing anything.
The solutions may need the replacement of a switch, capacitor or motor and it all depends on your issue. This step by step guide covers all the main issues one can encounter while using Minka Aire fans. After going through all the fixes if you are still unable to fix your unit, we recommend you contact Minka Aire customer support team for additional help.